New Old School: A Review of the Mido Patrimony



Watch: Mido Multifort Patrimony (blue dial)
Movement: Mido Caliber 80 (based on ETA C07.621)
Width: 40mm
Lug Width: 19mm
Crystal: Sapphire
How long owned: 1 week
Used price estimate (June 2019): Not yet available used.
New price estimate (June 2019): $890 list; $600 on sale at Macy's with 10% eBates.
Anticipated grey market price: ~ $560 (once available).
Anticipated used price: ~ $450 to $550 (depending on condition, warranty, papers, etc.).

For the first time in my watch-buying history, I've bought a newly-released watch. When I started seeing reviews and photos of the new Mido Multifort Patrimony in early May, I was instantly attracted to the sector dial and syringe hands (someday I'd love to get a JLC Master Control Sector Dial), as well as the beautiful blue dial. Only problem was that I try to avoid paying full MSRP for a watch, and new releases can be challenging to find for less.



I'd resigned myself to waiting for a year or two for used or grey market availability, when a Macy's 25% sale popped up that included the Patrimony. When a 10% eBates was added, the discount nearly reached the anticipated grey market price. Additionally, noting the stylistic similarities to my Smiths PRS-36 and Hamilton UTC "Skymaster," I decided there was an opportunity to further my consolidation goal and also purge my collection of the final watch I had with a complication other than date (furthering my goal of uncomplicating my collection), thereby reducing future maintenance expenses. So I sold the Smiths and Hamilton, placed the order* for the Patrimony, and eagerly awaited the arrival of my new watch. 



I have not been disappointed. The sunburst blue dial is even better looking in person than in the photos. It's rich in low light and glitters in the sun. Interestingly, the pulsometer scale around the dial is not as noticeable in person as it is in the photos. When glancing at the watch in person, the scale appears to be more of a reflection in the box sapphire crystal, so it really does not draw any attention from the beautiful blue sector dial (as it does in photos). However, it still can be read easily if you want to actually take your pulse.



The overall finishing of the watch is wonderful. There's a mix of polished and brushed surfaces, and the lugs have a nice little turn in them to show the alternating surfaces to great effect. The hands, numbers, and sector lines are all lumed. Depending on the strap, the watch is versatile enough to be worn for most of my activities, from casual to dress events.



I don't love the suede-feel, vintage-style strap that came with the watch, and needed to replace it for the heat and humidity of the summer anyway, so I put a 20mm grey perlon on the watch. It's too bad Mido went with a 19mm lug instead of 20mm, but since my Tudor BB36 has 19mm lugs, I already have a few 19mm leather straps I can use (Rios and Fluco, in particular, make some good options here). Perlons work well with these odd lug widths, because the weave will open (18mm) or close (20mm) to accommodate the lug width. Softer 20mm NATOs also can be used, or 18mm if you don't mind the slightest gap.

Maybe it's just the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, but it seems like I'm seeing a fair amount of buzz over this watch in forums and on social media. I never paid much attention to Mido watches before, but the different styling of this watch may be turning other heads like it turned mine. It's only been one week, but I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with this one.

* Herein lies my only frustration with having bought this watch. When I first tried to purchase on Macy's.com through my Macy's online account, Macy's canceled my first two order attempts within 15 minutes, saying I needed to contact their Consumer Protection Department. (According to Google, this is not an uncommon experience with online Macy's orders.) The third time I ordered as a guest, using my PayPal, and the order was successful. The watch shipped directly from Swatch Group US (Mido's parent company) in New Jersey, but when it arrived, the warranty card was not filled out. The warranty terms state the card must be completed to be valid. The watch was advertised by Macy's with a two-year warranty, and Macy's customer service subsequently told me the warranty is provided by the vendor (Swatch). When I then requested detailed warranty info using Macy's online form, the response told me I could submit another online request with my contact information to have the warranty information mailed to me. When I did so, the next response told me I had to mail the request to Macy's, instead. Meanwhile, I also contacted Mido through its online form to clarify the warranty. They forwarded the query to Swatch Group USA, who contacted me a couple of days later with a polite and helpful email that said, in the case of an unstamped warranty card, they also would accept a copy of the receipt from the dealer. Of course, here's hoping that never becomes necessary.

Comments